ABOUT THE CHOP TOP CHALLENGE:
The 2019 Chop Top Challenge is a road rally where teams compete to get the most points while traveling from Chicago to Austin in a car that they chopped the top off of. It will take place from March 21 - 24 with a kickoff party in Chicago on March 20.
The teams that complete the challenge will meet in Austin on Monday afternoon for an awards ceremony with a grand prize going to the overall winnner. Last year's winners got to lead a Chop Top parade through the French Quarter in New Orleans.
RULES FOR THE CHOP TOP CHALLENGE ROAD RALLY 2019
1. Your vehicle must be one that was not offered from the factory with a convertible option. The vehicle must have no top and no windshield.
2. Full face helmets must be worn by all participants during the road rally. There is an exemption for whatever street is cool in Austin.
3. Participants must obey all driving laws (speed limits, road signs, seat belts, proper insurance & registration).
1. It is strongly recommended that you weld the doors shut and have a roll cage in the vehicle. Safety first.
2. Warm clothes. Like, seriously warm clothes.. Austin is not fun if you are still dealing with the effects of hypothermia. (Like I thought I was gonna lounge the whole way down in sandals and shorts with a hoodie on and I ended up wearing every piece of clothing I owned.)
3. Snow tires might be a good option (Chicago in April, could be 60, could be -20 and snowy, see video from last year)
4. In-helmet walkie talkies with music capabilities is a must if you want to have any fun. Like seriously essential. Don't try whiteboards, it doesn't work.